Friday, March 30, 2007

Weekend Getaway


Okay, to visit this weekend getaway, you have to either be visiting Britain already or have your own Lear jet. I'm going to assume you don't have a Lear jet.

This is a photo of Snowdonia National Park in north Wales. I took it while hiking to Mt. Snowdon, or Yr Wyddfa, its Welsh name which means "burial place." Legend has it that a particularly fierce giant named Rhita Fawr is buried beneath. Snowdonia is the epicenter of much British mythology from the Celts to Arthurian times and was the stronghold of the last true princes of Wales.

The ascent is brutal; no switchbacks like you often find on mountains in the United States...the trail goes straight up the side of the 3,560-ft. mountain. But it's worth the effort. The views are outstanding, and on a clear day you can see the curve of the world...and sometimes the Irish coast and the Isle of Man.

There are numerous small towns with very reasonable lodging near the park, all having excellent transportation via bus to the various trailheads. I stayed in Bangor and took the short bus ride to the Llanberis trailhead. For more information on Mt. Snowdon and Snowdonia, visit this Web site.

1 Comments:

Hi Again ... your weekend getaways get better with each post.

Reading through your last several ones, I share a common bond with your exhuberance for such bands as Fleetwood Mac and Steely Dan.

Like you, Stevie Nicks is an imaginative artist with the ability to invoke creative feelings through her work. The only difference is she does it with her vocal prowess while you express yourself through visual observation.

Nice work and keep up the conceptual voyage for us.I express myself through the written word, btw. Stop by my site sometime and post a comment.

Based on what I've seen here, I'm sure there's a voice within you waiting to convey a political viewpoint. It might broaden your audience as well by introducing yourself to those who visit me.

Peace,
Cosmic

Add a comment