Friday, June 16, 2006

Much Ado about Da Vinci

The lady doth protest too much, methinks.
--William Shakespeare, Hamlet
Where there's smoke, there's fire.
--My mother
When I read The Da Vinci Code, I enjoyed it as an interesting story. I had no interest in uncovering secret cabals and conspiracies or discrediting the Catholic Church. I love history, Arthurian literature, suspense and thrillers, and toying with interesting ideas, such as Jesus having a wife and child. And I enjoyed the movie, even though I couldn't completely picture Tom Hanks in the lead role. But since the movie's release, the Catholic Church has been making a lot of noise about author Dan Brown's best-seller. Too much noise. Recently, National Geographic published an article about the Gospel of Judas, written in Coptic script, that was lost for centuries. If this gospel was excluded from the Bible, what else could have been omitted? Are there other things the church doesn't want us to know? And if their faith is so strong, why are they so worried about a literary gadfly? The church's protests have aroused my curiosity more than the book.

0 Comments:

Add a comment